August 20, 2011

The Break.

I started writing this blog this past spring because in between the uncertainty of unemployment, important test results and the impending "doom" of my thirtieth birthday, I needed to cling to something that I could create and something that would, in return, nourish me. A food blog seemed like a good idea at the time. The uniform slice of an onion, the careful eye over a seared side of pork belly, the stir of mashed asparagus in a sieve - all of these movements were meditations in an emergency. I wanted to throw myself into something that I loved, and write about it. It was indeed what I subtitled this blog, "food therapy."

A lot has happened since my first post. I have interviewed for three jobs, accepted two jobs, and quit one job. Mr. C also quit his day job to pursue his career as a full-time artist. Since March, I breathed a huge sigh of relief, started running in the woods and turned thirty in the company of Mr. C, a fried soft shell crab and homemade strawberry hot sauce. I am grateful to be where I am now in my life, even if it is not exactly what I would have ever imagined for myself just a few years ago. I am trying to hit the reset button on my life in earnest, turn the page and start a new chapter with none of the trappings of prologue.

I have also been on hiatus from cooking from scratch. Mr. C has been doing a fantastic job of making dinners with love and tending to our vegetable garden. I haven't been inclined to document and share during this time - I am still settling into new patterns and taking care of myself, and tentatively moving in new directions.

I am not sure if I will still write about food and cooking on this blog. But I know that I will be writing for myself, either here or elsewhere. I'll keep you posted, my one reader (still there?).

No comments:

Post a Comment